Friday, August 19, 2011

My First Blog

I am doing this late at night.  Sometimes doing things late at night reduces fear.  I haven't really blogged before, so this feels like new territory.  But I guess a lot of things do these days.  I am embarking on a new path in my life.  I am counting down days until I premiere a new ensemble of mine called The B'shnorkestra.  I really feel like I am constantly thinking about these concerts in September.  I kind have to be.  There's a lot to be done.  Today I spent 2 1/2 hours at a print shop trying to get posters the way I want them to be.  Nothing is ever as simple as it should be.  Despite some frustrations, I am also constantly excited about the premiere.
I played a gig with Reptet tonight that felt great.  There is something about playing music that you wrote that feels really exciting.  When you play with musicians that you truly admire (and I am lucky to play only with those people), you are constantly struck by the amazingness of having them be focused on something you wrote.  It's really quite exhilarating.
I have been spending a lot of time writing.  I am most happy when I am doing this.  I can't wait for the first rehearsal when I can hear three new tunes played by real musicians.  I feel so good about the people in the ensemble.  Half of the battle of composing is finding players who you can trust to guide the music in a good direction.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment